Wednesday, January 5, 2011

SEA-MOVES Dance (Act I, Scene X)






In the past few years, I have received a lot of good feedback about my work and with increasing frequency, I am asked to describe and define my choreographic style…

Some audiences have tried to define it for me:

For my Carmen Suite performance at the Boston Center for the Arts in May, a generous gentleman described me as “Isadora Duncan in a drawing room”, which is flattering but surprising as our styles could not be more different. He went on to note that her style was “looser” than mine, and indeed it was!! He probably meant to describe my impact as a performer rather than compare choreographic styles. Indeed, Wikipedia has lots of info on Isadora Duncan which includes her rejection of ballet steps (so opposite me), but also on her performance genius and much more!!…Elsewhere, another described my comic choreography as “reminiscent of Massine”.



I am flattered and honored to receive these and other remarks, but I believe that the person I most resemble is: myself. Encouraged to find my own voice and choreographic style at the Choreographic Conferences I attended (held at one of the Pacific Northwest Ballet Schools in 2008 and 2009), I have arrived at SEA-MOVES.

The ingredients for SEA-MOVES are: technique, creative movement dance, dance-theatre and a few unique and innovative touches pertinent to the work. Inventive use of props and being highly interpretive of the music are the qualities that put the final polish on the work. SEA-MOVES choreographic style is versatile (it can be adapted for all ages and levels) and can include dancers of diverse backgrounds. SEA-MOVES dance performances can range from a solo using music on a cd, to productions including lighting design, set design, live musicians, commissioned scores, singers, actors and dancers in a cast up to 20 in number.



Remember: "If you see some new moves that are cool and smooth, check 'em out-they just might be SEA-MOVES!"